The StarLIMS life sciences solution 11.1, a new laboratory information management system from Abbott, Abbott Park, Ill, helps to manage complex sample and testing workflows in a variety of clinical settings. The new system is built on the latest version of the StarLIMS technology platform 11.7.
Several factors are driving the need for continuous improvements and innovations in laboratory information management systems (LIMS). These include an exponential growth in the amount of data, the trends toward molecular testing and precision medicine, and pressure to rapidly bring new products to market.
Molecular laboratory testing continues to advance as molecular workflows such asnext-generation sequencing (NGS) and real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) testingare now available beyond research laboratories to contract research organizations, public health labs, and specialty diagnostic testing centers. NGS and qPCR testing require a number of operations for sample preparation, calculations for reagents, quality control, and inventory tracking.
“StarLIMS life sciences solution 11.1 gives customers the flexibility to self-configure a wide choice of assays in an integrated fashion within our biorepository, inventory, and quality control offerings,” says Mark Spencer, vice president and general manager for informatics at Abbott. “Abbott is committed to developing solutions to help customers stay ahead of market demands and on the cutting edge of data management and analytics.”
StarLIMS life sciences solution 11.1 offers data management from concept to consumer, addressing the demand for better global system integration as it allows multiple functions access to the lab’s data. Additional enhancements include:
- Configuration of simple-to-complex sample and plate workflows.
- Improved interoperability by simplifying the configuration of HL7 bidirectional interfaces.
- Application programming interface (API) that securely integrates with a multitude of platforms via a representational state transfer (REST) API, which provides support for predictive analytics.
- Improvements in traceability, equipment status, and new sample transactions.
- All upgrades released in version 11.0 of the software suite.
For more information, visit Abbott.