Abbott’s ID NOW 2.0 point-of-care diagnostic testing platform has received 510K clearance and CLIA waiver from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The ID NOW COVID-19 2.0 assay is a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT) that isothermally uses nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR) technology. Thus, the ID NOW COVID-19 2.0 assay provides molecular results in a fraction of the time needed by traditional molecular lab tests, according to Abbott.
The ID NOW 2.0 replaces ID NOW 1.0; the instrument is the same, and the software upgrade will allow customers to start utilizing 2.0 assays with sequential workflow once available.
The Updated Tests Offerings
This updated test comprises of a software upgrade as well as additional assay testing and includes the following enhancements:
- ID NOW 2.0 now supports sequential workflow with a COVID + Flu combo test.
- Due to the flexibility of ID NOW, operators now have the autonomy to run the COVID-19 test first and can then run a flu test on the same sample if wanted.
- Operators can now test for both COVID and Flu on a single patient sample.
- Faster time to result for negative results.
- Sequentially test COVID-19 and Influenza A & B, within 22 minutes due to utilization of same patient sample
- COVID-19 2.0: as little as 6 minutes for positive and 12 minutes for negatives
- Influenza A & B 2: as little as 5 minutes for positives and 13 minutes for negatives
Photo: ID NOW 2.0