Quest Diagnostics introduces Gazelle, a secure mobile health platform that allows users to receive their Quest Diagnostics laboratory results and manage their personal health information directly from their BlackBerry® and Apple® iPhone, and soon, Google Android®, smartphones.
With Gazelle, users can see, store, and share their vital health information with ease and security while on the go. For example, Gazelle allows a patient to easily share up-to-date medical information by e-mail or fax with physicians or other caregivers.
"Quest Diagnostics is committed to empowering patients with the vital information they need in order to take personal responsibility for their health," said Surya N. Mohapatra, PhD, chairman and CEO of Quest Diagnostics. "Gazelle is secure and private, and it helps patients to make meaningful improvements to their health."
The Gazelle application for BlackBerry and Apple iPhone can be downloaded at www.GazelleApp.com. The site also features a guided video tour of the application and its capabilities.
Among the features of Gazelle:
- An easy way to store and manage health information, including vital statistics, medical history and provider and insurance details;
- the ability, in 33 states and the District of Columbia, to automatically receive Quest Diagnostics laboratory results;
- an optional wallet card instructing Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel how to access Gazelle in the event of an emergency;
- a gateway that welcomes new personal health applications from third party providers, including care plans from strategic partner Keas; and
- a highly secure platform provided by mobile transaction pioneer C-SAM.
Gazelle also features a mobile appointment scheduling application that allows patients to either enter their zip code to find a local Quest Diagnostics location, or to use the smartphone’s GPS capability, which automatically identifies the patient’s current location and displays the next available appointment times at the closest Quest Diagnostics locations.
"With over five billion mobile phones worldwide and an increasing number of applications, we believe the time is ripe to bring the benefits of mobile health to users, empowering them with secure access to their clinical data—anywhere and anytime," said Sam Pitroda, Chairman and Founder of C-SAM. "C-SAM’s patented platform will enable patients and providers to securely access their personal health records, and conduct remote as well as proximity transactions using their mobile phones. Additionally, the platform will enable Quest Diagnostics to create a community of healthcare application developers, transforming Gazelle into a compelling mobile-health platform."
In the coming months, Quest Diagnostics plans to add features, including integration with personal health and wellness devices, compatibility with other leading health applications, treatment programs for specific disease states and medical reminders.
Source: Quest Diagnostics