Biocare Medical LLC, San Francisco, a provider of automated immunohistochemistry (IHC) instrumentation and reagents, recently released its Valent in vitro diagnostic (IVD) automated staining platform.
Valent is the first open-system, fully automated IHC staining platform, merging high-throughput and quality staining with an intuitive user interface. Valent overcomes the limitations of closed systems by allowing the use of reagents from multiple sources and providing top-tier IHC results. The new system provides clinical, pharmaceutical, and research laboratories with many useful functions, including a fully automated platform, 48-slide capacity, multiplex IHC capability, and high-quality staining.
“We work closely with customers, in all different testing environments, to maintain a deep understanding of their job demands and requirements,” says Morgan Porter, chief operating officer of Biocare Medical. “That’s why we’re so thrilled to introduce Valent to the market and provide our customers with the most innovative staining platform available in the industry today.”
“The online heat-induced epitope retrieval (HIER) feature of Biocare’s Valent enables walkaway freedom for the histotech,” adds Cheryl Bodden, histology laboratory manager at the University of San Francisco Health Labs. Features of the new system include:
- Increased Efficiency and Flexibility. The IHC protocol is completely automated, performing fast, nontoxic online deparaffinization and utilizing a patent-pending, continuous antigen retrieval dispensing technology. Valent’s open system enables users to apply enzyme pretreatments, antibodies, detections, or chromogens from any source. These combined capabilities significantly increase laboratory efficiency, flexibility, and turnaround time.
- High-Capacity Slide Processing. Valent breaks the 30-slide barrier, processing 48 slides simultaneously and supporting increased throughput with minimal hands-on time. Valent also employs a high-capacity lithium battery to boost the antigen retrieval process and safeguard staining runs in the event of power loss.
- Convenience. Valent is equipped with an array of automatic sensors, minimizing errors before and during runs. The software has an intuitive user interface, placing frequently used functions in a color-coded block on the main screen. The system’s onboard mixing capability allows for walkaway operation. Use of reagent vials with a 50 ?L dead volume minimizes precious reagent loss, saving money. The convenience of separating hazardous from nonhazardous waste also reduces disposal costs.
- Self-Leveling. A level slide and instrument are critical for reagents to be evenly dispensed, ensuring consistently stained, high-quality IHC results. Valent utilizes a dual-axis inclinometer which, when combined with motorized legs, allows it to self-level. The electronic inclinometer eliminates reliance upon traditional, subjective levels, while offering traceability for end-user record-keeping and regulatory compliance.
- Self-Cleaning. Valent performs several self-cleaning techniques to improve stain quality. Automated cleaning processes reduce variability while automated probe and wash station cleaning, as well as weekly automated cleaning routines, maximizes staining results and efficiency.
- Simultaneous Multiplex IHC. Valent is designed with simultaneous multiplex IHC capability, allowing for visualization of multiple antigens on a single slide.
For more information, visit Biocare Medical.
Photo: Biocare Medical